Monday 24 August 2015

My Everything by Katie Marsh



Published in paperback by Hodder on 27 August 2015.

I would like to thank the publisher for my copy of this book in return for an honest review. 


Hannah and Tom have been married for five years. On paper their lives are perfect, Tom is a high flying solicitor and Hannah is an English teacher. But in reality they are about as far from perfect as you can get, their marriage is on the rocks and Hannah can no longer put up with Tom's mood swings and she is sick of him putting her down all the time. Hannah realises that in order to find happiness again she has to leave Tom. But on the morning Hannah is about to end her marriage, Tom suffers a stroke and both of their lives are turned upside down. Hannah knows that she can't leave Tom when he needs her the most, so Hannah puts her dreams on hold to nurse Tom back to health. Tom is only thirty two but he now needs to learn how to walk and dress himself again. Is the stroke the rude awakening Tom needs to realise that he is about to lose his wife. 

I don't know if this is a book I would have picked up myself, but I am so glad I got the chance to read it. I am astounded that this is a debut, it is so beautifully written and executed. Emotion flows off of every page and it is obvious that the author put her heart and soul into writing this novel, and the result is fantastic.

The characters in this novel came alive while I was reading this book. Each character is so well developed and extremely likeable. From the very first page I fell in love with Hannah. She is such a string independent character and I wanted nothing but the best for her. Watching her put her dreams on hold to look after the man that she has fallen out of love with is heartbreaking, but watching her fall back in love with him is thoroughly uplifting. She is likeable from the word go and she develops beautifully throughout the novel. We are told that Tom has treated Hannah badly in the past, but we don't see this while reading the book and because of that Tom quickly became my favourite character. The way he handles the stroke with such dignity is beautifully to read and is so well written. I loved watching him develop from the man that treated Hannah so badly that she wanted to leave him, into the man he is in the book. I also loved Nick and Julie. They really added something special to this book. They are such likeable characters. 

This book sparkles from beginning to end. It is so beautifully written. It is heartbreaking, but it has it's funny moments and this really adds to the story. It is such a wonderfully uplifting story that is beautifully written. Everything about this book is great, from the gorgeous cover to the stunning story inside. I shed a few tears while reading this, but all in all it left me with a huge smile on my face and I loved every minute of it. 

A stunning debut from a very talented author. I can't recommend this book enough. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Kelly's Book Corner Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang